Dekar, what's up with this (amazing) music on the forums!?

General Discussion

Forum rules

If you are new to the forum you should review the Forum Guidelines.
Game Admin
Game Admin

BYOND:
TheWorldsGreatestWarrior
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 am
That's a good question, now settle down and listen to my tale.

April 22, 2015
It was a day just like any other. I got home from my job, turned on the computer, and performed my standard routine of lurking on the internet. The icons on my toolbar, all lined up in a row. Facebook, Twitter, a few choice subreddits, the usual shit. Finally, I made my way to the DMG Forums.

That day, a post appeared on the forums by their, usually mostly inactive, webmaster. Turns out, he could no longer maintain the cost of his web domain, and so, with it would go the forums in just a couple of weeks. As it so happens, I know a thing or two or way too much about web development, and had hosted many a website and forum for hobbyist stuff. When I was younger, I made quick commissions off of offering these services to clans and such on other games. A certainly insane idea popped into my head.

“Why not step in? You’ve done it plenty of times before, and it’s cheap to boot.”

I reached out to the game’s creator, and pitched my idea to her. My idea to take over for the webmaster, so DMG would not lose their forums.

May 8, 2015
Through some wholly expected trial and tribulation, the new site was born, and the news was spread in-game.

“My name is Dekar, and I’m the idiot guy who’ll be keeping the forums afloat now.”

I didn't want to do this using my old identity, though. I felt it would be interesting to see whether or not I could pull off an alternate persona, to test myself, see what I could get away with in terms of “starting anew”, and it would give people something to talk about in an otherwise pretty stale game state.

I’d taken the name of a character in one of my favorite JRPG/puzzle games growing up: Lufia 2: The Rise of the Sinistrals. I remember I wanted a name that was obscure enough to make some people have to Google it to figure out the reference, while still having an acceptable level of “cool factor”, while the ones with great taste in classic SNES games would recognize it and tell me they see what I did there.

I didn’t tell anybody I was doing this, not even my friends who introduced me to the game. For a pretty long time, the only person who knew about it was the game’s original developer, who had long since taken a back seat on her creation and faded into obscurity. I didn't tell anyone because I didn’t trust anyone to keep the beans unspilled. I got my share of attention out of it, I suppose. People clamored desperately to find holes in my anonymity, it was fun. Nobody ever actually guessed it to my recollection, but even if they did, I wouldn't have admitted it.

December 7, 2015
I caught word that DMG’s most noteworthy in-game server host, an admin by the name of Doc Seraphimon Obelisk, had gone missing, and so did his server. Another hole had opened up in this game that I still don’t quite know why I enjoy so much, and once again, the same thing came to mind.

“Maybe I can help them.”

I did the research and found out how to host one of these servers, again, it wasn’t hard, and nothing I hadn’t done before. I put in the money, the setup, and spread the word.

Dekar now hosts the game’s “main server”, as well as its forums. What a fuckin guy.

Shortly after, I would wind up taking off the mask for my DMG friends IRL, as well as a couple of other people whom I trusted enough to not ruin a good thing, because I would need people to inform me when the server goes down.

Eventually, someone would suggest to me that since I’ve done so much for this game; why not ask for the Admin rank in return? I hadn’t thought about it before, as I was content with just helping out, but hey sure, why not, I can’t say I’m not curious about what it's like to have the red name. So I asked for it, and it happened; I was granted Adminship for my service.

I’d finally done pretty much anything I could’ve possibly wanted to do in DMG. I did my part to save them from some hardships, and got appreciation and a reward for it. I was satisfied, I enjoyed it.

April 1, 2017
It’s now been nearly 2 years since I took over the forums. Feels like it’s been longer than that, damn. Coincidentally enough, it's the birthday of the old webmaster, pdjkeelan, tomorrow. Go figure.

Unfortunately, life for me took a turn for the worse in the summer of 2016. I had changed jobs to an employer who paid a substantial raise comparing to what I made prior, but they would turn out to have less than decent intentions, and those ill intentions caused me to become very unexpectedly unemployed.

Thankfully, the gr8 st8 of New York grants a handful of months’ worth of unemployment compensation, and I’d had some savings to work with as well. I was determined to not let that shit affect me online, and so it didn’t. Problem was, the situation was not changing. I went on interviews upon interviews upon more and more interviews, but nobody was hiring me, and my expenses finally outperformed my fiscal parachute. Eventually, I was forced to take out a loan, and as a result, I must now make drastic changes to my spending.

Good news is someone did recently hire me, and I am back into the workforce now, albeit on a contractor basis, still looking for full-time, but, it's just too little, too late to prevent this.

TL;DR: I have come to the decision that I must retire the services and identity of Dekar, which include this website, and the game server.

I am not one who shamelessly asks others for charity, so it’s not my desire to try to scrounge up some crowdfunding-type bullshit from DMG. I didn’t want to just Brock Samson you guys (though I was told it would’ve been amusing), and I didn’t want to simply hand off the financial burden to someone else either, as I would have to give up being Dekar, regardless, so it'd be no different than having them start their own. This was my legacy, my ship, and it’s only fair that I go down with it.

The music is what plays when Kirby and Wheel watch Meta-Knight's destroyed airship plummet to the sea, during the credits of Revenge of Meta-Knight (Kirby Super Star). It will play on the forums until the forums are no more.

This is Dekar's farewell. The forums will be up until May 6, while the server will go down in about a week. I’ve prepared the necessary things to transfer the forums over to someone else, though if it is anyone's intention, please contact Icefire and get him to give the OK before contacting me, since he’s the one who runs the show, and I don’t want to be handing out database files to every Swordmaster21 who asks.

This may not be a forever thing. If DMG lives to see it, the future may include a time when I can come back and help out once more, but it's now my time to say…
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 am
what he meant to say was:

ahem

I
M

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

O
U
T

O
F

T
H
I
S

S
H
I
T
H
O
L
E

K
I
L
L

Y
O
U
R
S
E
L
V
E
S
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
RyuSamurai
Ace Card:
Shadow Ghoul
Guild:
The VCRI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:46 am
Vajuranda wrote:what he meant to say was:

ahem

I
M

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

O
U
T

O
F

T
H
I
S

S
H
I
T
H
O
L
E

K
I
L
L

Y
O
U
R
S
E
L
V
E
S

Last edited by SK Tony - The Rebel on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:46 am
Vajuranda wrote:what he meant to say was:

ahem

I
M

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

O
U
T

O
F

T
H
I
S

S
H
I
T
H
O
L
E

K
I
L
L

Y
O
U
R
S
E
L
V
E
S

pmuch dis
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
Game Admin
Game Admin
BYOND:
JemGryphonkin
Ace Card:
Gren Maju Da Eiza
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 am
RIP sweet angel
SwiftBlackNinjaMan wrote:Jem is an adult in every sense of the word. He does not need this game or these forums to boost his self-esteem making him entirely unbiased. He's also a sensible person.

End of first episode of Arc V should have gone like this -- "Wait, did you just summon a bunch of monsters in 1 turn?" "Yeah, so?" "Well, isn't that against the rules?" "SCREW THE RULES I MAKE UP CARD MECHANICS WITH MY PENDANT"
Envoy of Infinity
Envoy of Infinity

BYOND:
Y0- Y0
Ace Card:
Naturia Bambooshoot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:49 am
Good song i like it .
Head Admin
Head Admin

BYOND:
IceFire2050
Ace Card:
Noble Spirit Beast Kannahawk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 am
If you care to share which hosting services you've been using, I'll see if I can get a replacement going. I've tried quite a few hosting services for dmg in the past and they usually have some kind of issue or another with them .
Game Admin
Game Admin

BYOND:
TheWorldsGreatestWarrior
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 pm
Sent you a PM. Also I moved the music to the bottom of the page, as I realized it caused certain elements to break or be misplaced throughout the forums, such as Quick Reply's, pretty much the entire PM system, and I think I couldn't even get into the Admin side lol.
Game Admin
Game Admin

BYOND:
Dr. Seraphimon Obelisk
Ace Card:
Obelisk the Tormentor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:47 pm
I don't know about the forums, but I might be able to start hosting the game again, (started already), about the forums, if there is something I can do, tell me as I don't know so much about these forum hosting things.
Game Admin
Game Admin

BYOND:
TheWorldsGreatestWarrior
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:10 pm
Edited the OP with the dates.

Ask Ice if he's cool (pun definitely not intended) with you taking over the forums and then we'll try to set something up once I hear from him.
Next

Return to Kaiba Corporation