Best Cartoons/Animes of all time?

General Off-topic
New to the game or forum? Introduce yourself...

Forum rules

If you are new to the forum you should review the Forum Guidelines.
Tournament Moderator
Tournament Moderator

BYOND:
Fistodragon
Guild:
Carpe Noctem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:06 am
You can post themes too

Edit: I swear if somebody puts Teen Titans GO! .....
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:21 am
"Teen Titans GO!"
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
Game Admin
Game Admin
BYOND:
Eiza Redux
Ace Card:
Devoted Love
Guild:
THEM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Comedy:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: comically depressed teacher attempts to teach students about the jaded reality of life. Also, the openings have very little to do with anything that happens during the show.

Moyashimon: Tales of Agriculture: boy who sees bacteria in larger-than-life proportions goes to college to make booze. Hilarity ensues.

Hozuki no Reitetsu: Hozuki runs Hell. It's a lot of work.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: COOL. COOLER. COOLEST.

Baccano!: a clash of perspectives as a ton of people with a ton of agendas cross paths on a train (and one of them's a serial killer, too).

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: a ridiculous show with a ridiculous premise and a filthy sense of humor.

Sci-Fi Law&Order
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: the squad over at Section 9 deal with crazy shit that happens in Future Japan. There are a couple movies that came before this series, but they're not strictly required.

Psycho Pass: the squad working at the office with the really long name deal with crazy shit that happens in a different Future Japan, where criminal tendencies are inferred from your state of mind. One of the few dystopias done right, considering there is not a "Hunger Games"-tier revolution at the end.

Hamatora: people with superpowers run away from home and start their own private detective agency. Light-hearted, compared to the other two on this list, but it still has its moments.

Ergo Proxy: more Sci-fi and less Law&Order. Trying to summarize the plot wouldn't do it any justice.

Shadow Games
Kaiji: the Mob runs Shadow Games for people in debt to get out of debt. This usually results in everyone involved getting even further into debt.

Akagi: if the Pharaoh played Mahjong instead of Yugioh. Warning: it doesn't end properly, because the final game has been going on for the last 20 years or so. Still worth getting into.

Phi Brain: in a world where solving those brainteasers and puzzles that your teacher gave you in the second grade is actually a highly valued skill...

Giant Robots

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: listed first because it's arguably the fastest way to find out what kind of mecha show you like, since the series starts off as a "Super Robot" show and moves into "Real Robot", and even treads close to a real "Downer Ending". The series was also condensed into two movies, so you could easily go with either (or both).

Mobile Suit Gundam (pick a series): it's hard to go wrong, and the best/worst of the bunch depends entirely on who you ask. Basically every Gundam is a "Real Robot" series, with "Super Robot" toppings that keep it from being a total downer.

Mazinger (pick a series): the anti-Gundam, and the legit first "Super Robot" (unless you count Gigantor for some reason). The plot's as crazy as the Monster of the Week villain demands.

Star Driver: one of my favorite off-brand "Super Robot" shows. It deconstructs a lot of tropes, and even with its borderline-silly plot, it's still great. You may or may not have seen .gifs from this show on this forum. Since the openings are all copyright-stricken, here's the transformation bit (that you'll see a great deal of).

Bokurano: there is no hope. Prepare to cry.

Action/Adventure
Bounen no Xam'd: idiot boy catches a disease, runs away with the Postal Service to deal with it. It makes more sense in the show. If you remember "Eureka 7" vaguely, it's that, but done right.

Mob Psycho 100: natural-born-telekinetic-and-exorcist Reigen handles life problems, before dismantling the psychic Illuminati. Also features Mob, his apprentice.

Soul Eater: basically what Bleach might look like if its head wasn't so far up its own ass. Classic "buddy shounen" with lots of action and lots of comedy.

Log Horizon: basically what Sword Art Online might look like if its head wasn't so far up its own ass. People get stuck in a video game world without explanation, but instead of becoming a living hemorrhoid named Kirito, people make the best of it.

Made for Edgelords
(a.k.a. shows besides Yu-Gi-Oh! GX that Swordmaster21 will defend as being "good")

Sword Art Online: this show has AIDS. No, really. It frequently insults the intelligence of the audience by assuming you've never seen a work of fiction before, and expects you to fall for its "twists" and mistake them for good plot. Good animation, though?

Mirai Nikki: the most recent "definitive edgelord experience" to dethrone that other show with the pink hair, Elfen Lied. People are given the ability to see the future in very particular ways and now have to kill each other. Good music, though?

Attack on Titan: a show that tries really hard to be taken seriously. Also features giant naked people with meme faces. Good animation, and at least the first opening's catchy, but the plot is unsalvagable.

Deadman Wonderland: there is nothing good to say about this show unless you like seeing lots of blood for no good reason at all.

Akame ga Kill: not just edgy, but a harem, too.

G.O.A.T.:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: in case you didn't know, anything good in any anime you like probably came from this wellspring of genius. Great characters, great action, lots of posing, and a plot that walks the fine line between "simple enough for a grade schooler" and "did that Mayan muscleman just turn his hand into a squirrel?" Also hands-down the greatest opening sequences of the last few years. Highly recommend watching the Blu-Ray versions (or just watch the dubs, if you can stomach the dubs for the first season), since the original cuts had some awkward censoring decisions in terms of wounds and underage smoking.
Kochen wrote:Nothing is becoming outdated, you're just stupid.
Tournament Moderator
Tournament Moderator

BYOND:
Fistodragon
Guild:
Carpe Noctem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:07 am
Blade - The Rebel wrote:Image
"Teen Titans GO!"

should of seen this coming lmao

-Eiza- wrote:..

Some of those look pretty cool! I guess I'll have to check them out
Game Admin
Game Admin
BYOND:
Eiza Redux
Ace Card:
Devoted Love
Guild:
THEM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 am
I know you probably weren't looking for films, and a lot of film-stuff/OVA pop up like sequels to shows, and stuff like that. Every so often you get a neat looking film like Dead Leaves or Redline, or if you go back far enough, you get a classic like Akira that still looks really good, even if the plot's not great. Either way, it's hard to say that anything by Miyazaki or Kon is "not good", with Miyazaki putting out more accessible, family-friendly films that leave you feeling good, and Kon focusing a lot on "adult problems" like mental trauma, systemic errors, and just weird shit that most content creators either stay far away from, or wind up embracing it so much that it makes its way onto that Edgelord list. Kon finds a good balance, telling the story instead of just trying to shock the viewer -- since the surrealist art does that for him.

Hayao Miyazaki

My Neighbor Totoro: depending on who you ask, this is either a movie about nothing at all, or a movie about the meaning of life itself.

Princess Mononoke: it's Ferngully except loads better.

Howl's Moving Castle: wizards 'n shit. Also the mentioned moving castle makes an appearance.

Spirited Away: probably the first movie most people think of when they hear "Miyazaki", assuming they know him at all. Pretty much all Miyazaki films are geared towards younger audiences, but you're never too old for Spirited Away.

Satoshi Kon

Perfect Blue: it's about a J-pop star who decides to try being an actress. This is not a kid's film. This is NOT a kid's film.

Tokyo Godfathers: it sounds like it might be a gangster movie. It's actually about actual godfathers. Three homeless people find a baby and get it back home. Hilarity ensues.

Paprika: my favorite stand-alone anime movie, period. It's got the animation, it's got the soundtrack, it's got the story, it's got the characters. Inception lifted its "dream machine" idea from here (probably), which is used in this movie as a therapy device, rather than stealing people's passwords and shit.

Paranoia Agent: this one's not a movie, actually. It's something like a whodunnit show, where a couple detectives are trying to track down a serial attacker who clubs people with a golden bat. Each episode follows a different perspective (usually the soon-to-be victim's) and leaves a lot of its symbolism out in the open for you to see, but otherwise unmentioned. Always fun to watch, though if you get spooked easily, the show's soundtrack (from Susumu Hirasawa, the same fellow who did the music for Paprika) can really make things tense.

And just in case you have no clue what those three movies are up at the top:

Dead Leaves: a short, hour-long film, it's about a criminal duo just...sort of...doing crazy shit. The art is wild and the plot nonsensical, but it's a great watch just to laugh your ass off. This trailer doesn't really do it justice; the higher the quality you can find this film in, the better.

Redline: if Wacky Racers had a budget and a plot and characters that you actually cared about. There's about ten seconds of bare breasts so cover your eyes, Fisto. Also has the most amazing pompadour I've ever seen.

Akira: looks great for a movie that was made in the 80s, and brought us classic dialogue such as "TETSUOOOOO!" and "KANEDAAAAA!". It's one of those movies that you have to watch at least once, if only to say "no really, I didn't just get into anime when Naruto got picked up by Toonami, I swear, please believe me?"
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
RyuSamurai
Ace Card:
Shadow Ghoul
Guild:
The VCRI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:15 pm
If you're talking about movies...

The Garden of Words

Summer Wars

Also for series
Erased
Cardfight Vanguard/Vanguard G (heh, better than ygo forever.)

I'll put up a comprehensive list of all gundam anime worth viewing later
Rising Duelist
Rising Duelist

BYOND:
Shadowvictini123
Ace Card:
Overmind Archfiend
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:54 am
SK Tony - The Rebel wrote:If you're talking about movies...

The Garden of Words

Summer Wars

Also for series
Erased
Cardfight Vanguard/Vanguard G (heh, better than ygo forever.)

I'll put up a comprehensive list of all gundam anime worth viewing later

Erased was amaze, glad someone agrees with me, unlike a certain Eiza Redux.
He ain't gonna cut it. Somebody's gotta break that loser in.

Game Admin
Game Admin
BYOND:
Eiza Redux
Ace Card:
Devoted Love
Guild:
THEM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:41 am
Vanitas wrote:Erased was amaze, glad someone agrees with me, unlike a certain Eiza Redux.

Return to Domino High