Old Features That Should Come Back(And then some)

If you have a suggestion which would be of benefit to the game, post it here.
Please keep them to the point & realistic. Thanks.

Domino Citizen
Domino Citizen

BYOND:
BurnUp
Ace Card:
Stardust Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 pm
Starting with the small things:
Under the help tab, you find the following options: http://prnt.sc/c64bd6
    The "need help" button does nothing but lead you to broken links
    The "what are star points" button does nothing
    The "staff" button is unable to be used
    Basically, all the potentially helpful things in that tab don't work
    It would be nice to have all those fixed for players that want/need to use them. Otherwise, they may as well just be removed. Same goes for the button in the "Tournament" tab next to the "Help" tab, it is pretty useless due to it being randomized match-ups only. As well as that, we use challonge for SSTs anyways, so the tab may as well not be there.

Convenient buttons:
Long ago, there were 4 buttons in the top right of the screen: http://prnt.sc/c64l96
These buttons were extremely convenient and made the game easier to pick up without having to ask questions about every little thing. I was taking a break from DMG when these were removed, so I have no idea why they were. There's nothing currently filling the space these were in, and these would be phenomenal to have back, especially for the newer players

AutoSave:
Brand new players constantly getting screwed over by not knowing that they need to save manually. Would be nice to have the game autosave your progress every 5 minutes or so. If there is already an autosave period, I'm assuming it's above 5 minutes and I would suggest that it is shortened

Save Zoom Level:
http://prnt.sc/c64o3c <-------The only setting in the game that doesn't save.... I don't think I even need to explain this. If the zoom level is already set to something comfortable, why should it need to be set again every time I log in to the game?

MoTD:
Probably the most important thing in this thread, the Message of The Day. This used to be around and was removed while I was on break from DMG, but I have no idea why something like this was ever removed. Right now, it could benefit players greatly and keep them up to date with what's going on with the game. This would ESPECIALLY be great for new players right now. All the time recently, new players quit permanently within an hour of logging into the game due to resource downloading taking ages now thanks to the earthbound immortals. An MoTD that opens up immediately on login would be able to help them pick up and play the game. At the top of the MoTD would be messages such as: "If this is your first time logging in, you should have a black screen and/or not be able to move. This is perfectly normal and will fix itself after a few minutes." It would also include important reference links such as the controls guide(http://forums.duelmonstersgenesis.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14937), the forums, and a general game guide. The rest of the MoTD would just be informing players of the game updating, staff being hired/fired, SSTs being won, etc.

Game Rules:
Just saying, it would be nice if when I went into the info booth and clicked on game rules, I was actually shown game rules. DMG needs a set in stone list of things you can/can't do that can be viewed from within the game.

Roland:
The Roland NPC in Kaiba's office doesn't actually do anything. It's just misleading for people who want to join STs. Either the function of the NPC should be changed or it should be removed altogether

Missing Cards:
I don't know how this would be done, perhaps just a list of cards that were moved could be added to the MoTD. Players that haven't been playing on DMG for a long time are often caught off guard when a new update comes, they log in, and the chat tells them 20 cards are missing from their decks. It would be helpful if the game actually told you what was missing, or if it says "Check list of moved cards for what may be missing" or something along those lines.

Bring Back Guilds:
Guilds are purely cosmetic, and just give the players an extra fun little element thrown into the game. They don't really do anything to hurt the game, and they give people more motivation to earn SP. All it would do is give a little prefix in global chat and a guild chat to speak with your mates in. The forum section for it is still up and I don't think many people would be opposed to it being revived.

More uses for SP:
Currently, there are only two reasons to try and earn more SP: Custom Icons & Bragging Rights. I don't currently have many ideas for what these would be, but more things that require certain amounts of SP should be added, such as more life point counters or more duel disks. Otherwise, there isn't really much worth to it.

Duel Arenas:
Everyone loved the Duelist Kingdom duel arenas that DMG used to have. Those could be recreated to fit the new shape of the field, or we could even just have an area of the map with several copies of the duel arena present in front of kaibacorp(currently the only arena). There's tons of empty spaces and useless buildings that do nothing but obstruct the field during duels, so those could be removed to make space for arenas.

Second Map:
This one isn't anything too important, but I'm sure a lot of people would like to have another map like the Mind Puzzle that is easily accessible through the main map. People get tired of seeing the same one map all the time and it would be a nice change of pace. Especially for the newer players, who are always dying to see old maps that used to be public.

DMG Twitter:
Not anything important, but it would be nice to have a twitter page that's always alerting followers of server status and updates and such

EDIT:
The points about adding/removing things from the map can probably be pushed back a bit or suggested directly to UD, due to him already working on a new map

Adding on to the argument about more uses for SP, perhaps there could even be a shop added that gave you items or cosmetic features through you giving up some of your SP
Last edited by BurnOut on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

BYOND:
ChicoBDA
Ace Card:
Rescue Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 pm
Pretty much everything this guy wrote down is a good idea. The game is extremely inaccessible for new players, they have no idea what to do.
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

BYOND:
Number 9 Dyson Sphere
Ace Card:
Number 9 Dyson Sphere
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:36 pm
I don't know much about BYOND coding, but I'd assume auto-save would be resource-consuming and/or hard to do. I think the dbz games on ye olde byond had them, but they had it set to every hour or so, and it also sent a global message saying the auto save occurred. Then again, these games were like twice the resource data of DMG, which honestly shouldn't be the case, since all the icon files are like 32kb-64kb and we have like 10,000 of said files and we're only at 175 mb. So that large amount of resources should be coming from somewhere, which I'd indeed assume would be the auto-save feature
[20:04] Fusion Duelist - Blade: celtic is a skilled player

Game Admin
Game Admin

BYOND:
TheWorldsGreatestWarrior
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:52 pm
DysonSlinky wrote:I don't know much about BYOND coding, but I'd assume auto-save would be resource-consuming and/or hard to do.

It's really not at all. We have an AFK indicator. We have a save function. It's literally copying the same code that influences the AFK icon, and making it so instead of the AFK icon, do the Save verb.

DysonSlinky wrote:So that large amount of resources should be coming from somewhere, which I'd indeed assume would be the auto-save feature

That's also not how that works. Save files and resources are two completely different things.
Tournament Moderator
Tournament Moderator
BYOND:
Shinkanohikari
Ace Card:
Mermail Goddess Iris Heart
Guild:
The Six Paths
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:12 pm
I wouldn't mind getting them back.
Ruling Moderator
Ruling Moderator
BYOND:
Shisha Sosei
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:09 pm
ChicoBDA wrote:Pretty much everything this guy wrote down is a good idea.

This. I especially want MoTD back

http://prntscr.com/c6g36c
It would be great if we could do it the following way:

Name placed on top = 1st
Name placed on bottom = 16th

It would pair the top (1st) against Bottom (16th). And we could do this for 2nd vs. 15th etc..
Otherwise, it might as well be removed since we use challonge to make our bracket.

Domino Citizen
Domino Citizen

BYOND:
BurnUp
Ace Card:
Stardust Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:35 pm
Tidus' reply to this thread

Tidus (16:29): Pretty good stuff tbh, Only things i'd say don't really matter are Roland(Or just NPCs in general tbh they all can be removed at this point.) Guilds(Our playerbase is too low imo I doubt it would really go anywhere. Finally the auto save. The idea in itself is good, but iirc DMG prevents you from saving after 6 saves which means anything after 30 minutes(Per the time frame you gave) wouldn't be s
Tidus (16:29): *be saved

Return to Suggestions