Transferring from Forum to Subreddit

General Discussion

Forum rules

If you are new to the forum you should review the Forum Guidelines.
User avatar
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
Posts: 4684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am
Location: fug
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:41 pm
@mach i don't see why st's would be any kind of problem

just post a topic about it, sticky it for visibility, have people post in it the exact same way as they do here

edit: fucking inb4'd

edit2: see this is why i need to moderate the reddit
#bladefordmgredditmod #makedmgredditgreatforonce
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
User avatar
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 2764
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 am
Location: The Different Dimension
BYOND:
JemGryphonkin
Ace Card:
Gren Maju Da Eiza
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm
As a non-redditor, my vote is subreddit. There's no real reason not to, it's free, it's easily accessible, and it isn't ancient technology like a bulletin board.
SwiftBlackNinjaMan wrote:Jem is an adult in every sense of the word. He does not need this game or these forums to boost his self-esteem making him entirely unbiased. He's also a sensible person.

End of first episode of Arc V should have gone like this -- "Wait, did you just summon a bunch of monsters in 1 turn?" "Yeah, so?" "Well, isn't that against the rules?" "SCREW THE RULES I MAKE UP CARD MECHANICS WITH MY PENDANT"
User avatar
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 pm

BYOND:
Machturbo
Ace Card:
Morphing Jar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:36 pm
Blade - The Rebel wrote:@mach i don't see why st's would be any kind of problem

just post a topic about it, sticky it for visibility, have people post in it the exact same way as they do here

edit: fucking inb4'd

edit2: see this is why i need to moderate the reddit
#bladefordmgredditmod #makedmgredditgreatforonce
Vajuranda wrote:
Machturbo wrote:Tournaments will be the only annoying part to do via Reddit. I don't care much about the other issues.

How would it be any different from our current way of doing it? You post a topic on the subreddit, and then everyone replies to the thread.

???

It's minor, but you can't lock it, or at least I'm pretty sure you can't. I wouldn't know because I don't frequent Reddit
User avatar
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
Posts: 4684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am
Location: fug
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 pm
yes you can
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:28 pm
Machturbo wrote:It's minor, but you can't lock it, or at least I'm pretty sure you can't. I wouldn't know because I don't frequent Reddit

Blade - The Rebel wrote:yes you can


Man, it's amazing how many of you have problems with Reddit but don't actually know how it works.

"Lemme just say it's a bad idea without actually being able to back up my statement, that always goes over well!"
Image
Image
User avatar
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 pm

BYOND:
Machturbo
Ace Card:
Morphing Jar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 pm
Vajuranda wrote:
Machturbo wrote:It's minor, but you can't lock it, or at least I'm pretty sure you can't. I wouldn't know because I don't frequent Reddit

Blade - The Rebel wrote:yes you can


Man, it's amazing how many of you have problems with Reddit but don't actually know how it works.

"Lemme just say it's a bad idea without actually being able to back up my statement, that always goes over well!"

Show me where I said it was a bad idea. I don't care which route we go. If it's Reddit, I need to know how the shit works. If we stay here, then status quo.

Ty for explaining, Blade.
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 pm
Machturbo wrote:Show me where I said it was a bad idea.


Machturbo wrote:Tournaments will be the only annoying part to do via Reddit. I don't care much about the other issues.


???

You literally started complaining about it before you even knew anything.
Image
Image
User avatar
Satellite Trash
Satellite Trash
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 am

BYOND:
Cardsy
Ace Card:
Allure of Darkness
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:00 pm
Petty Vajuranda wrote:GUEST POSTING ISN'T POSSIBLE LOL CHEK URSELF

Uh... might want to check your own ignorance.

Guest posting:
http://imgur.com/a/2sN15
Just one of many options available to admins on phpbb not present on a subreddit.
Oh, but since you now know it's possible, you'll probably try to downplay the importance of those features. I think 33 users having the ability to easily post registrations or feedback comments without needing to hassle with an account is important enough.


The alleged issues with visibility are overblown. Considering new players are given a forum link, players will find the forums with ease as they always have. That's a non-issue. In fact, you may want to reconsider your own impressions of Reddit's searchability. Outside of getting lucky and landing a random post in the top 100, small subreddits just simply aren't findable.

As such, accessibility and visibility aren't excellent areas in which to compare Reddit to phpBB. There are clear advantages to Guests when using phpBB, considering they theoretically should never have to register to post ST regs, bug reports, suggestions, or even general commentary or banter. Why the administration here makes it so difficult on its new users, isn't for me to answer. But you're certainly misrepresenting the other options out of ignorance, so try not to speak in such absolutes k?

To that point, members here also should consider that posts are usually reviewed by the relevant moderators on phpBB before being approved, so once again... abuse of this privilege is also a non-issue.

And this image:
http://i.imgur.com/wHHBasQ.png
Once again (again)

The managers of the board set those parameters.
https://www.google.com/#q=ban+emails+phpbb
First 2,000 results.

That message was most likely typed by someone else.

Visit ANY other phpBB board.

Most of them will allow any email to register.

Please... use your own advice and do some research.


Onto the games you reference. They all have a recurring theme:
If they do happen to use a subreddit, they tend to also have an at-home forum for their base of operations.

Why? Because the entire design of the website is deliberate. You can't compare reply threads on a subforum of a website to an actual forum itself. The only argument you actually have is cost (see: end of post).

There was a comment by Machturbo about ST registration on Reddit, and whether or not it is a step back in its viability as that medium or not, there is a wide database of phpBB mods and scripts that take a few clicks to install, that would open up possibilities with ST registration modules etc. being implemented. Although there doesn't seem to be a strong interest here in improvements like webclients and forum scripts, etc., it demonstrates where an actual forum and Reddit diverge. In BYOND World, there are several games throughout time that have linked their forum or website with the game itself, allowing scores and variables to be shared between the two. In this way, top-down control isn't possible on Reddit, nor is Guest posting or manually managing your forum base's accounts.


Even putting that aside, on a forum board, you can designate members with special ranks and privileges not available on subreddits. You can choose to add moderators to Reddit, but if you wanted to differentiate someone between a Tournament moderator or a Ruling moderator, this is not possible on the platform. Additionally, there are even limits on CSS customization (which you rely on ENTIRELY for site customization... any CSS pros here?)... the site forces you to purchase "Reddit Gold" to use site themes.

I'm not going to debate every pro and con Forums vs. Reddit, because it's almost a matter of apples and oranges, but the distinction that should be drawn between the two is that Reddit is more focused on the social element and a forum board combines discussion, categorization, and utility to actually organize permanent fixtures of the community with ease, such as the numerous reference threads available here and user groups that distinguish user responsibility, such as the TM and RM groups.

And finally, I have stated several times that I am willing to finance this. I would be fine with paying for two years of forum hosting upfront.
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 am
Cardsy wrote:
Petty Vajuranda wrote:GUEST POSTING ISN'T POSSIBLE LOL CHEK URSELF

Uh... might want to check your own ignorance.

Guest posting:
http://imgur.com/a/2sN15
Just one of many options available to admins on phpbb not present on a subreddit.
Oh, but since you now know it's possible, you'll probably try to downplay the importance of those features. I think 33 users having the ability to easily post registrations or feedback comments without needing to hassle with an account is important enough.


Now, if you knew how to read you would know that guest posting is disabled in most places according to Dekar due to spam bots.
You CANNOT do it currently, and it WOULD NOT be wise to allow this. But you don't understand that. I urge you to log out, and attempt to post anything anywhere. Make a post as a guest and prove me wrong. You can't post in a single thing you mentioned, nor can you view some of those sub forums:

You lack top-down control. Allowing people to post tournament registrations/bug reports/ban appeals/suggestions/card corrections etc. via Guest accounts are some examples of where the two mediums diverge.




The alleged issues with visibility are overblown. Considering new players are given a forum link, players will find the forums with ease as they always have. That's a non-issue. In fact, you may want to reconsider your own impressions of Reddit's searchability. Outside of getting lucky and landing a random post in the top 100, small subreddits just simply aren't findable.


Not at all. We can talk to the /r/yugioh mods and have a link to our subreddit put in the sidebar. You, again, have no idea what you're talking about. Not to mention it's super easy to just post a link to the subreddit while posting in /r/yugioh to get some easy visibility.

As such, accessibility and visibility aren't excellent areas in which to compare Reddit to phpBB. There are clear advantages to Guests when using phpBB, considering they theoretically should never have to register to post ST regs, bug reports, suggestions, or even general commentary or banter. Why the administration here makes it so difficult on its new users, isn't for me to answer. But you're certainly misrepresenting the other options out of ignorance, so try not to speak in such absolutes k?


Again, you really don't understand a thing. If guests COULD post freely, we'd see a bunch of spam on the forums. But you wouldn't understand that. You don't understand anything.
To that point, members here also should consider that posts are usually reviewed by the relevant moderators on phpBB before being approved, so once again... abuse of this privilege is also a non-issue.


No? Show me an example of that anywhere. I have never had to have a mod review a post I made, and that's putting a lot of unreasonable work on the staff that already don't care about the game.

And this image:
http://i.imgur.com/wHHBasQ.png
Once again (again)

The managers of the board set those parameters.
https://www.google.com/#q=ban+emails+phpbb
First 2,000 results.

That message was most likely typed by someone else.

Visit ANY other phpBB board.

Most of them will allow any email to register.

Please... use your own advice and do some research.


It's funny that you're telling me to do research, but don't do it yourself when you throw out such statements as:

Even after stating that board administrators control user registration parameters (CAPTCHA, reg req's, password complexities, name boundaries, etc.), ShepardJ still seems to think phpBB requires specific emails to register.


I did the research for you and then you try and pretend you knew about it all along even though you said otherwise. Please, just stop. You said that as if it was a fact, that phpBB doesn't require specific emails to register and then I go and prove you wrong.

Onto the games you reference. They all have a recurring theme:
If they do happen to use a subreddit, they tend to also have an at-home forum for their base of operations.

Why? Because the entire design of the website is deliberate. You can't compare reply threads on a subforum of a website to an actual forum itself. The only argument you actually have is cost (see: end of post).


Do you know why? It's because the forum was created first, and then the subreddit came along. Because all of the games I mentioned were around before Reddit became popular. They also have the funds to run their own website, and need their website in order to promote their game with things such as download link(s). We have no need for anything like that because we run off of BYOND.

There was a comment by Machturbo about ST registration on Reddit, and whether or not it is a step back in its viability as that medium or not, there is a wide database of phpBB mods and scripts that take a few clicks to install, that would open up possibilities with ST registration modules etc. being implemented. Although there doesn't seem to be a strong interest here in improvements like webclients and forum scripts, etc., it demonstrates where an actual forum and Reddit diverge. In BYOND World, there are several games throughout time that have linked their forum or website with the game itself, allowing scores and variables to be shared between the two. In this way, top-down control isn't possible on Reddit, nor is Guest posting or manually managing your forum base's accounts.


You keep bringing up guest posting as if that's a bonus. No one wants to allow guest posting, ever. No one wants to have to watch the forums 24/7 to prevent spam. No one cares enough. Please, stop bringing that up it's getting you no where.

The ST thing is a non-issue, as Mach quickly realized.


Even putting that aside, on a forum board, you can designate members with special ranks and privileges not available on subreddits. You can choose to add moderators to Reddit, but if you wanted to differentiate someone between a Tournament moderator or a Ruling moderator, this is not possible on the platform. Additionally, there are even limits on CSS customization (which you rely on ENTIRELY for site customization... any CSS pros here?)... the site forces you to purchase "Reddit Gold" to use site themes.


No? Reddit Gold is to access a special clubhouse. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can also give members custom flair. It would be a small thing that follows their name when they post a message. So, for example, after Mach's user name would be a red "Admin" after every post he posts. Again, showing your ignorance when it comes to Reddit.

I'm not going to debate every pro and con Forums vs. Reddit, because it's almost a matter of apples and oranges, but the distinction that should be drawn between the two is that Reddit is more focused on the social element and a forum board combines discussion, categorization, and utility to actually organize permanent fixtures of the community with ease, such as the numerous reference threads available here and user groups that distinguish user responsibility, such as the TM and RM groups.


Again, you know nothing about Reddit. I brought up the flair point about in regards to TM/RMs so I wont touch on it much, but lemme tell you this: Reddit has everything that you listed for the forums and more. You know nothing about Reddit as you continue to show every time you sit down to type up a post directed towards me. And every time I'll shut you down until you can actually come up with a coherent argument so we can actually have a discussion. Right now you just continue to throw out random opinions that you believe are facts, hoping one will stick and save your argument/post.

And finally, I have stated several times that I am willing to finance this. I would be fine with paying for two years of forum hosting upfront.


I don't think anyone would want you running the forum, after showing how little you really understand. You would do away with the email ban, allow guest posting, and throw in a bunch of mundane shit and make it less user friendly.

The email ban we currently have active is to combat spam bots. If we allowed any email to get through, you can easily create a bunch of fake accounts and spam the boards.
The anti guest posting we currently have active is to combat spam bots. If just anyone could post anything anywhere we'd have a bunch of random spam all over the forum.

Please, just stop. It's getting annoying having to come back to the thread to prove you wrong every time. I'm doing it to prevent the spread of misinformation, of which you really don't care about, apparently. Do your research, come back with actual facts instead of opinions. In fact, one of my pet peeves is that you always bring in general statements. Lemme help you out a bit here.

I'm not going to debate every pro and con Forums vs. Reddit, because it's almost a matter of apples and oranges, but the distinction that should be drawn between the two is that Reddit is more focused on the social element and a forum board combines discussion, categorization, and utility to actually organize permanent fixtures of the community with ease, such as the numerous reference threads available here and user groups that distinguish user responsibility, such as the TM and RM groups.


Expand on this. You can't just say "forum board combines discussion, categorization, and utility" without bringing out examples or facts. This is just a statement. It's the same as me saying the sky is orange. Without an actual picture, it's just words. It means nothing. Bring back an actual argument or leave the thread. That's all I ask.

You're acting like Wolfgang.
Image
Image
User avatar
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 pm

BYOND:
Machturbo
Ace Card:
Morphing Jar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 am
Vajuranda wrote:
Machturbo wrote:Show me where I said it was a bad idea.


Machturbo wrote:Tournaments will be the only annoying part to do via Reddit. I don't care much about the other issues.


???

You literally started complaining about it before you even knew anything.

Complaining =/= saying it's a bad idea.

A little explanation is all I need on things and I'm good to go. Which happened. So I'm good to go. I don't care if it happens or not, my issue is resolved.
PreviousNext

Return to Kaiba Corporation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron