Transferring from Forum to Subreddit

General Discussion

Forum rules

If you are new to the forum you should review the Forum Guidelines.
User avatar
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
Posts: 4684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am
Location: fug
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 am
but you have to/had to sign up for an account for this as well so how is it any different?? :?: ??

nevermind the fact that signing up for reddit is piss easy, compared to this piece of shit which has always had problems with sign ups, also
> not already having a reddit account in 2017 lul
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:38 am
Cardsy wrote:I just feel like a reddit subforum aint for games: It's for conversational topics.


https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowverse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/

these are just the ones i frequent

what the f*** are you talking about

???
Image
Image
User avatar
Satellite Trash
Satellite Trash
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 am

BYOND:
Cardsy
Ace Card:
Allure of Darkness
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 am
Blade and Vaj wrote:stuff

So we got a few Redditors here. I feel ya.

The way I see it, BYOND has nothing to do with DMG/YGO other than serving as its platform, but players already have to register for it. The forums pertain directly to the game. Many players already have forum accounts here, and then there's the matter of choosing between backing up or deleting all posts outright.

I'd rather skip the business of asking each player to migrate to Reddit so late into this game's lifespan. It seems like too big of a move.

Meanwhile, there are several prominent players offering to pay for a year of forum hosting; myself included. It's better to just keep this forum database and transfer to a new domain.

IMO, moving to Reddit just takes that extra little bit of "special" away from the experience,
and will only help the game slip further into obscurity.

My two cents.

Also @ShepardJ aren't those community-created subreddits? Or did the game creators publish that? I can't claim to be a "Redditor", but I reserve my opinions about its use as a game hub.
User avatar
It's over 2000!
It's over 2000!
Posts: 4684
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am
Location: fug
BYOND:
BladePwnsYou
Ace Card:
The Spade Club of Diamond Hearts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 am
hey man all i was saying was that going the subreddit route makes accessibility piss easy in comparison to the forums which have always caused problems for people

all the rest of that shit sounds like caring about DMG
to which i say

> caring about DMG in 2017 lul

also it's really easy to offload the forums to a freeforums site, so there's no need to "lose" anything, just saiyan

also the game devs for those games closely support most, if not all, of those subreddits vaj mentioned
I wrote:sorry but like, honestly, it's 2016 and you're still crying about "vent".

B-Burner wrote:wow makes me really think if all gay men are actually gay it seemed like acting to disturb us straight people pretty sure i also some some triangles (illuminati)
User avatar
Game Admin
Game Admin
Posts: 2764
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 am
Location: The Different Dimension
BYOND:
JemGryphonkin
Ace Card:
Gren Maju Da Eiza
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm
There's also the consideration that if we wanted to try to draw in new blood, being in a more accessible format might be the way to go.....
SwiftBlackNinjaMan wrote:Jem is an adult in every sense of the word. He does not need this game or these forums to boost his self-esteem making him entirely unbiased. He's also a sensible person.

End of first episode of Arc V should have gone like this -- "Wait, did you just summon a bunch of monsters in 1 turn?" "Yeah, so?" "Well, isn't that against the rules?" "SCREW THE RULES I MAKE UP CARD MECHANICS WITH MY PENDANT"
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Piloting the Party Van.
BYOND:
RyuSamurai
Ace Card:
Shadow Ghoul
Guild:
The VCRI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:10 pm
but how will the dmg metaverse fanfiction explaining the lore of our game be saved for future generations icefire
Image
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:15 pm
Cardsy wrote:Also @ShepardJ aren't those community-created subreddits? Or did the game creators publish that? I can't claim to be a "Redditor", but I reserve my opinions about its use as a game hub.


some are user created, some are created by the developers

/r/pathofexile and /r/leagueoflegends both see constant feedback from developers, and those are only two things i can think of off of the top of my head

in fact, grinding gear games is probably the best company to run a game(they run path of exile), because the developers provide constant feedback on the forums and the subreddit, you get instant replies from support, and the fucking CEO himself, chris wilson, posts regularly on the subreddit in order to answer questions and have fun with the fanbase

you literally know nothing about the site but decided to spout random bullshit nonsense

in fact, in both /r/pathofexile's and /r/leagueoflegends's cases, the reddit is more active than their respective forums

i'm not arguing for or against the use of a subreddit, all i'm saying is that you're fucking wrong and you should do more research before you actually start typing next time
Image
Image
User avatar
Satellite Trash
Satellite Trash
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 am

BYOND:
Cardsy
Ace Card:
Allure of Darkness
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:41 pm
High contents of SALT in your post. Watch that blood sugar.

After being around the service for 10(?) or more years like everyone else in the online gaming community, I think I'm pretty capable of using basic observational skills to infer how it's used. I know enough, at least, to judge the difference between using it vs. a forum board to run a game.

Consider Star Tournament registration for example.

Here, on an actual forum board, the database can be altered to allow Guest posting in the Star Tournament forum, as it already is in one of the appeal forums.

Here, administrators can manually activate accounts if someone's email confirmation is acting up, and similarly alter user accounts in a way Reddit doesn't permit.

Here, Dekar's silly music can be uploaded and embedded into any forum page. Likewise with a simple tournament registration system, or an embedded card database.

Reddit can serve as a great medium, don't get me wrong, but you can't interface with it like you can a forum database. Keyword here is CONTROL, not accessibility. Being that the board administrator CONTROLS accessibility (such as determining password complexity, CAPTCHAS, name requirements, or even disabling the need to activate an account at ALL before using it), the "problems" with this forum are self-inflicted. It's hard to buy that argument when there is nothing inherently cumbersome about signing up a phpBB forum account. If so, please list extraordinary examples that would justify such a big move this late into the game.



plssss keap foram
User avatar
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:32 pm

BYOND:
Shepardj
Ace Card:
Voltic Bicorn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:08 pm
Cardsy wrote:High contents of SALT in your post. Watch that blood sugar.

When you have to resort to the "umad?", you've already lost. There was NO salt in my post. It's funny that you think that, though.

After being around the service for 10(?) or more years like everyone else in the online gaming community, I think I'm pretty capable of using basic observational skills to infer how it's used. I know enough, at least, to judge the difference between using it vs. a forum board to run a game.


You think so? Because you clearly didn't know enough when you said:
Cardsy wrote:I just feel like a reddit subforum aint for games: It's for conversational topics.

And YET it works for so many other games. But for some reason, it wont work for this one.

Consider Star Tournament registration for example.

Here, on an actual forum board, the database can be altered to allow Guest posting in the Star Tournament forum, as it already is in one of the appeal forums.

Here, administrators can manually activate accounts if someone's email confirmation is acting up, and similarly alter user accounts in a way Reddit doesn't permit.


The people that actually play in Star Tournaments wont actually care about having to make another account. Everyone else is usually signed up by the tournament host. That's part of their job now. Also Reddit's account creation is super solid, unlike this dried up piece of shit board.

Here, Dekar's silly music can be uploaded and embedded into any forum page. Likewise with a simple tournament registration system, or an embedded card database.


You can actually do that on Reddit, as well. Reddit's subreddits are super customizable. Again, showing your lack of knowledge when it comes to this shit.

Reddit can serve as a great medium, don't get me wrong, but you can't interface with it like you can a forum database. Keyword here is CONTROL, not accessibility. Being that the board administrator CONTROLS accessibility (such as determining password complexity, CAPTCHAS, name requirements, or even disabling the need to activate an account at ALL before using it), the "problems" with this forum are self-inflicted. It's hard to buy that argument when there is nothing inherently cumbersome about signing up a phpBB forum account.

It's not super hard to sign up for a Reddit account? People sign up for new ones ALL the time, because they make throwaways, or create bots. Your argument is "there's no problem with signing up here, therefore we should use it" but the same applies to Reddit too. In fact, Reddit is more painless in that iirc this forum only allows certain emails to be used, LOL.

If so, please list extraordinary examples that would justify such a big move this late into the game.

Because it's free?

IT'S FUCKING FREE

No one has to pay for a shitty forum three users post on.

Because Reddit is infinitely more accessible to the public instead of a forum tucked into the far corners of the internet.

Not to mention Reddit allows you to upvote/downvote content.

It would be as simple as posting a new Star Tournament thread, then everyone posts their IGN/Key in there. MUCH LIKE THIS FORUM

But yes, let's keep paying for a shitty version when the better version is free. That's SO like DMG.

Get the f*** out of the thread until you can come back with a good argument.
Image
Image

Satellite Trash
Satellite Trash
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

BYOND:
Angryjon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 pm
Watching Cardsy making extremely flawed arguments be like

Image
PreviousNext

Return to Kaiba Corporation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron