Icon Contributors

General Discussion

Forum rules

If you are new to the forum you should review the Forum Guidelines.
Head Admin
Head Admin

BYOND:
IceFire2050
Ace Card:
Noble Spirit Beast Kannahawk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:39 pm
There's a new "GM" Rank (for lack of a better term) as of v7.6.1.

This is the Icon Contributor rank.

The medal can already be seen on the hub.

This is not a staff rank exactly, you will not receive any type of announcement or punishment commands with this medal but what it will do is the following...

Removes custom icon file size limit (Can use a 2mb icon if you want. I dont recommend it though.)
    Removes the icon dimension limit (Can use icons larger than 32x32)
    Grants 1 command to the user "Change Icon". This verb allows you to change another player's icon. This is so if you create a custom icon and want to share it without giving away the icon, you can do it now.
    Player receives a Teal name in chat.
    Player receives an optional Teal name under their icon like staff ranks get.

The medal will be given to any player who decides to contribute icons to DMG. It doesn't particularly matter what the icons are as long as they fit with the aesthetic of the game. Icon Contributors are asked to continue to submit icons to the game. There isn't any strict schedule for this but if I feel like you've gone a significant period of time without providing anything new, your powers may be stripped until you submit a new icon (We're talking periods of time in months, not days or weeks.) Keep in mind that subject matter will be considered so if you're making a new character we dont have an icon for, that's great. But if you're recoloring or modifying an existing icon in to an alternative outfit, while that is acceptable and encouraged as well, it's not going to give you as much breathing room in the amount of time it comes to providing new icons.

As far as what you can provide...
Examples being...
Player icons (For alternate outfits, they can be similar in appearance to their original icon but for any new character you should try to match the more recent custom icons in the game like the ZEXAL and ARC-V icons)
D-Wheels (Must be to scale with the existing d-wheels)
Buildings (Must be recognizable from the series)
Hud Duel Disks (This is more complicated and if it's something you're interested in, ask me about it first as there are certain requirements)

Please be aware that if you submit an icon to DMG, DMG will take ownership of that icon. This means that you can continue to use it, edit it, etc, for your own personal use but I don't want to see that icon appear in any other games. Also, if, for example, you submit an icon, and a few months from now you end up getting global banned or something from the game, DMG is not required to remove any icons you submitted to the game.

In addition, any icon you submit must be your own creation, if it's discovered you stole someone else's icon and tried to pass it off as your own, punishment will be applied accordingly.

If you wish to submit an icon to the game, PM a download link for the icon and I'll take a look, if it's something I can use, we'll add it to the game in the next update. If I cant use it, I'll explain why and possibly give you tips on how to edit it so that we can use it.
Head Admin
Head Admin

BYOND:
IceFire2050
Ace Card:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:15 pm
(Reserved)
Head Admin
Head Admin

BYOND:
IceFire2050
Ace Card:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:22 pm
SILVIO-SAMA'S ENTERTAINMENT ICON GUIDE

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Are your icon skills lacking? Do you want to be as successful and talented as me? Well that's never going to happen, but follow this guide and you might get a bit closer.

To start off, we'll need a model to teach you louts how to icon, and obviously when you think of a model, you think of me.

This is what an acceptable icon looks like. Now iconing is all a matter of aesthetics and not every one of them will be as instantly beautiful as myself so you may need to go off model a bit but for the most part, this is the easiest way to create an icon.

Now lets break down the icon a bit!

A Zoom on Shingo-sama's beauty please!

Ahh, such beauty. BUT! Lets look at the finer details. Notice the following things...

The legs/feet... the legs should be that same shape. If there's something out of the ordinary about the character's legs, you may want to go off model, but for the vast majority of icons, that's how they'll look. Coloring is a case by case basis though obviously. The feet should also be that same shape. a 3x2 block of pixels. Now the line of pixels between the legs. That's up to you how to color it. Generally with darker pants, I go with just black between the legs and then a dark version of whatever is on the feet between the feet.

The arms. This is a pretty standard shape. If the icon's height needs to be adjusted, you may also want to adjust the icon's arm length but dont overdo it because it's easy to make your icon look like it has gorilla arms.

The face. It should always be that shape. You can play around with the eyes a little but make sure you match the character's eye color. Darker colors will show better on the eyes though so even if a character has blue eyes, you may want to go with a darker blue. The eyebrow/eyelash line above the eyes are an aesthetic option color and shape wise. Most icons will have this shape to their eyes but the color is optional. If a character has a particularly dark colored hair, you may want to make them black otherwise they will tend to blend in with the hair but if a character has a lighter color hair, you may want to go with a darker shade of that hair color.

Hair, hair is always a crapshoot. Try to get as close to the character you're iconing as possible. but dont overdo it on details or the hair will look like a pixelated mess.

Ears. Having ears on your icon, especially on the north/south states is an aesthetic choice. Sometimes they're something you need to add to get a certain look for your character, other times they'll make your character's face look too wide. A good rule of thumb is to always seperate the ears from the rest of the face by a darker color, whether that be a dark color of the hair for sideburns or just a darker tinted skin. It helps frame off the face and makes the ears look like ears and not just the character having a fat head.

Outlines. I recommend always using some form of outline on your icon. As far as what color that outline is, it depends on the aesthetic. If you use black, the outline will pop a bit more and will make sure your icon always stands out on whatever background it's on. But, using black sacrifices some room for details.. It's up to you and you can experiment with both but choose the one that looks more aesthetically pleasing.

Now that you know the finer points of Silvio-sama's beauty, lets show off a few different angles!

Generally when a person makes an icon, they tend to start with the South facing sprite because it's the most easily recognized and they get that full frontal detail. After that you get to slog through the other 3 directions. So let's take a look at them.

So for all the states maintaining consistency is important. Height is a big point here. If you put all 4 states next to each other like I did above you should see that the top of the head lines up across all 4, so do the eyes any major details line up with each other (Like the cowlick bit of Shingo's hair), the arms should be the same length in all states, the waist should line up (usually marked with a belt of some kind cuz it's yugioh).

Looking at each state more specifically...

The north state... This state is generally pretty simple. Mirror your south state, The arms and legs generally dont change. I usually will change the shading on the feet a little, fill in the chest and make sure your clothing looks correct. Then work on the hair. Usually I start by just filling in the face with a base color of the hair and then working out the details.

East for the most part, these can be pretty simple. The legs use the same colors, sometimes you may want to make the rear leg a bit darker to make it clear that it's farther back. For the upper body, you can usually take the middle line of pixels from the south sprite and use that as your front line of the icon. Then you can just work your way left from there. The arm should be the same length so you can use the same colors on the arm. The hair is something you need to work out. Sometimes you can use parts of the north/south hair overlapped and get pretty close to what you want for the hair, other times it can be a bit more complicated

West, almost always is a mirror of the East sprite. If your character is asymmetrical (has 2 different color arm sleeves or wears a glove on 1 hand) you may have to edit it a little, but for the most part, it can be mirrored.

Remember, like always, aesthetic is the key so if you have to deviate slightly, it's fine as long as it looks good and doesn't look abnormal compared to the other icons.

Now it's time for some real entertainment! Lets show some movement!

Movement animations are pretty simple but look good as long as you do them correctly.

We'll look at south movement first.

This is pretty simple. The very first thing you want to do is move the entire icon down by 1 pixel. Dont make any other changes. Just slide the icon down by 1 but you want to make sure the shadow doesn't move so work that out first.

Next we'll work on the legs. Simple enough. Pick one of the colors from your foot, pick one that will stand out a bit from the pants. Keep that color and erase the rest of 1 of the feet. Then, if your bottom pixel of your pants has any type of detail, you may want to slide that detail up 1 pixel. Then put that color you picked at the base of that shorter pant leg. It should look like the pic I posted above. That's all you have to do with the legs and it works just fine.

For the arms, this is also pretty simple. for the arm that's on the same side as the leg you just shortened, you want to move the hand, 2 pixels toward the center of the icon. You may want to add an outline to the hand when you do this so that it stands out on the body. Then, if you look above, you'll notice that above the hand, there are 3 lines of pixes that are lined up with the hand. You'll want to move that bit of the arm 1 pixel toward the center of the body. Doing this gives the arm the appearance of swinging a bit and doesn't require you to icon anything new on your character. For the opposite arm you're going to be doing something a bit similar. This time you take that entire outer 2 srow of pixels and you slide them over 1. It will overlap the rest of the arm and make it look like the arm moved behind the back slightly. NEVER MOVE THE SHOULDERS INWARD it just looks weird.

For the second movement state, you need to mirror the first one. If your character isn't symetrical then you may have to edit the state a bit. Make sure nothing flips sides when it's walking.

North movement is next

Very similar to the south movement except for the arms. Like when you moved the arm behind the icon in the south movement, you're going to move both arms in 1 pixel. 1 arm goes in front of the icon, the other goes behind. And then add the extra outline to the edge of the hand. That's really all there is to it that's different than the South movement.

Next is the east/west movement

The east/west movement tends to be the most time consuming but it's not that complicated. like before, you start by moving the whole icon except the shadow down by 1.

Next we'll look at the arms. First state we'll look at is where the arm facing us moves back.

This is a lot like when you moved the arms inward on the south state. But you move it backwards. The hand moves back 2 pixels. the 2 lines above it move back 1 pixel. fill in the gaps you created by moving the arm back. Then, add the rear arm moving forward. That just looks like above. It should be 1 pixel higher than the hand in front.

The legs are a bit trickier. Honestly, there's no quick way to make them. If you look at the picture above, you'll notice that the leg closer to you is always 1 pixel longer than the other. The leg in the back is colored a bit darker and you use shading on the crotch area to show which leg is in front. I can't really give you tips on this part. It may be easier to just copy the legs off an existing icon in the game and then recolor them to match your icon. That's generally how I complete this part.

The next state is similar. switch your legs. Move your hand forward 2 pixels and the 2 above it forward 1. then color in the gap at the back.

Again, aesthetic is key so it's better to make sure it looks good. Make sure you dont have random bits of your icon just flapping around.

For the west state, as mentioned before will just be a mirror of the east unless the character has something not quite symmetrical about them.

After thought
And then that's it. You should have an icon pretty similar to those in DMG. If you're looking for clothing examples... for hoods, i'd look at the "Ghoul 6" icon in-game. For slightly longer jackets, the "Jaden 3" icon is a good example. For long coats, the "Shen" icon I just added is a good example of those.

And that's all there is to it!

You now have all the tools you need to try and reach for the greatness that is Silvio-sama.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Puppy93
Ace Card:
Frightfur Tiger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:24 am
What about us people that have donated in the past
dayday: U took 3 hours to tell me im retarded?

Head Admin
Head Admin

BYOND:
IceFire2050
Ace Card:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:59 pm
Puppy93 wrote:What about us people that have donated in the past

They've gone a long time without contributing anything. There's what? 4 created icons in the game that weren't made by me or UD?
Master of Momentum
Master of Momentum
BYOND:
testr111
Ace Card:
Black feather dragon
Guild:
Blackheart
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 am
I'll give you the edits I did ages ago :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4q0fm81eu4pzsx7/AADGYkenaYOEtR8JggAoxIU5a?dl=0

well only the ones that I THINK you might be able to use in some way x)

Have fun :p
Rising Duelist
Rising Duelist

BYOND:
Shadowvictini123
Ace Card:
Overmind Archfiend
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:02 pm
Have fun.
He ain't gonna cut it. Somebody's gotta break that loser in.

Return to Kaiba Corporation