[REFERENCE] The Official GCG Rulings topic

Read Only
Rules for the game & forums, as well as some handy guides and articles.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Wolfgang DS
Ace Card:
Shooting Star Dragon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm
The Official GCG Rulings topic.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A gold colored name means the ruling was decided by Master GM.

A red colored name means the ruling has been looked over by someone adept at card rulings knowledge and has not been contested. (These include, but are not limited to myself, Jrmsweitzer712, Tri Fox, ShadowLord, Deathbot, Kochen and Katoma) These rulings are pretty much certified.

A blue colored name means the ruling is supported with 1 or more existing rulings for real life cards, but is contested by 2 or more judges. These are subject to change at any time.

A green colored name means that the ruling was added by a DMG community member and has not been contested, but not yet certified by a judge.

A purple colored name means that the ruling is only temporarily established while the card in question awaits a card correction. These will disappear every time the cards in question are fixed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Primary GCG Rules and Game Mechanics

Regarding Negative Levels: All monsters with negative levels will have their levels treated as such for all effects, costs and game mechanics. Although, a monster's level cannot go below 1, except by card effect(s) that specifically mention the level becoming negative levels. Level 0 is not a viable level in the UCG. Any card's level that is above/lower than 0 that would become 0 by a card effect or game mechanic instead drops to 1/raises to -1, respectively.

Regarding the Infinity archetype:

For any card that states an "Infinity" monster, the following cards are excluded;

• Emes the Infinity
  • Infinity Dark
  • Tyranno Infinity

[UnknownDuelist]

Card Rulings

Code Change:

• You can only use this effect against a card that specifically lists at least 1 Monster type (so you cannot use it to change a type declared by Array of Revealing Light).
  • You can use the effect to change an effect that targets a specific Monster Type to a different type. In which case, the target is no longer valid and the effect is not applied. For example, if Book of Life's effect targets a Zombie in your graveyard, and Code Change changes the type on it to Dragon, the original target is no longer valid, so the monster is not Summoned (however, the opponent's card is removed from play, as normal).
  • You can use the effect to change a restriction against a specific Type to a different type. For example, you can use Code Change to allow Debris Dragon to be used for a Synchro Summon of a monster of a different type you choose.
  • You cannot use this effect to change the type listed in describing a Token or the card itself. So you cannot change the type of Rose Tokens from Black Garden or Zoma the Skull.
  • You can chain Code Change to an effect whose cost requires a specific type of monster. However, the effect is already activated, so the effect will resolve as normal (unless the effect requires those same type monster during resolution).
  • If a card lists multiple different types of Monsters, all of them are changed to the declared type.
  • If a card lists a single type multiple times, all of those instances are changed. For example, if you change Fairy to Dragon on the text of Athena, you must send 1 Dragon-type monster as a cost and Special Summon 1 Dragon-type monster for the effect.
[Darkblade]

Darkness: The effect of Darkness to destroy all spell/trap cards you control will activate when Darkness is removed from the field despite its current wording. [Kochen]

Dimensional Balance: If an effect prevents monsters being summoned or removed from play, you cannot activate Dimensional Balance. [Kochen]

Final Light: If a monster is summoned by the effect of Final Light that prevents your opponent from special summoning, your opponent will still be able to summon a monster. [ShadowLord]

Force of Four: When a player is forced to draw until they have a certain number of cards in hand, they will do so once, and then reduce their hand size down to 4. They will not keep drawing and reducing in tandem. Each action is only performed a single time. [Tri Fox]

Gingerbread House: If a monster's original ATK is 2500 or higher, or its ATK has been increased to 2500 or higher by another card effect(s) and then targeted by the effect of Gingerbread House to increase it's attack, it will not be destroyed by the secondary effect of Gingerbread House.
  • The second effect of Gingerbread House is a Continuous Effect that resolves during the resolution of the first effect, which is a Trigger Effect.
[Darkblade]

Monster Register:

• The effect of "Monster Register" goes on a chain immediately after a monster is Summoned. As a mandatory Trigger Effect, "Monster Register" is always on the chain before optional Trigger Effects (“Mobius the Frost Monarch”) or chained Spell & Trap Cards (“Trap Hole”).
  • The player that special summons the monster will send the cards from their deck, not the card's controller. So if a player summons a monster while their Black Garden is in play and Rose Tokens are summoned to the field, the player who controls Black Garden will send cards from the top of their deck to the graveyard, since they special summon the Tokens to the field. (Player A summons a monster with Monster Register and Black Garden on the field, their monsters attack is cut in half. Player A then summons Rose Tokens to their opponent's field, Player A mills 2 cards for the Rose Tokens due to Monster Register. Player A then mills cards for their monster. )
  • Monster Register will not prevent monsters from being summoned if there are 0 cards in the deck.
  • If a card is preventing cards from the deck being sent to the graveyard, Monster Register will activate, however it will not mill cards when monsters are summoned. If a card is making cards that would be sent to the graveyard RFG instead, all affected players can still summon, the cards will be removed from play instead.
  • If a monster's summon is negated, you do not mill cards for Monster Register.
  • If multiple monsters are summoned at once, the effect of Monster Register is not applied to those monsters.
[Kochen]

Scab Scar-Knight:

• If two Scab Scar-Knights are summoned simultaneously, both Scab Scar-Knights will be destroyed. If at any point, 2 Scab Scar-Knights exist on the field at the same time, both are destroyed. (If an effect that negates effects is active on the field, then 2 Scab Scar-Knights may exist on the field at once, however once the effect is removed, both Scab Scar-Knights are destroyed.)
  • Scab Scar-Knight does not force the Battle Phase, and your opponent is only forced to attack it while in Attack Position.
  • Scab Scar-Knight's effect to place a Scab Counter is activated at the end of the damage calculation.
  • Scab Scar-Knight's effect that takes control of monsters at the end of the Battle Phase is optional, it can be used at the end of either player's Battle Phase, and the controller of Scab Scar-Knight chooses how many monsters will be taken by the effect. You cannot choose to take control of more monsters than you have monster card zones with the effect of Scab Scar-Knight.
  • When effect damage is changed into an increase in Life Points through the effect of Prime Material Dragon, and Scab Scar-Knight is on the field, both effects are continuous; Prime Material Dragon changes the damage into an increase in Life Points, and Scab Scar-Knight negates any increase in Life Points. No effect damage is done, and no Life Points are gained.
  • When an increase in Life Points would occur while Scab Scar-Knight and Bad Reaction to Simochi are active on the field, if Scab Scar-Knight was on the field first, then the increase in Life Points is negated. If Bad Reaction to Simochi was active on the field first then the Life Point values are changed to damage before Scab Scar-Knight could negate them.
[[Eiza]]

Take Over 5

• Sending 5 cards from your Deck to the Graveyard is part of its effect. It is not a Cost.
  • -If Take Over 5 is not activated when it is sent to the graveyard (for example, if it is sent to the graveyard by Tuning), then you cannot use its effect to draw a card. That is because the "next Standby Phase" is relative to when you activated Take Over 5, not from when it hit the graveyard.
  • -If you do not use Take Over 5's effect to draw a card during your next Standby Phase, you cannot use that copy's effect to draw a card.
  • Take Over 5's effect to negate the effects of your cards that sends cards from your deck to the graveyard is always active while it's in the graveyard, regardless of if you activated Take Over 5 or not.
  • Take Over 5's effect to negate the effects of your cards that sends cards from your deck to the graveyard, only negates the effects sending the cards. Other effects that are not part of the effect sending cards to the graveyard will still activate.
  • Take Over 5 will NOT negate the effects of cards that send cards from the deck to the graveyard as costs.

[Darkblade]

Temporal Machine God Razion: The effect that inflicts damage when your opponent draws cards in their draw phase, is inflicted per instance of drawing cards, not per each card drawn. (That is to say, if your opponent draws 2 cards during their Draw Phase for Hand Destruction, they will only receive 1000 damage, because the cards are drawn at the same time.) [Kochen]

White Warrior - Snow the Rope Dart: When this card activates its effect it will return to the hand of it's current controller. (The person whose monster card zone it's in) [Kochen]

Volcanic Mine: Volcanic Mine will negate the effects of all monsters your opponent controls for the duration of the turn. [Kochen]

Yomi Ghoul:

• This card's effect to destroy monsters on your field only works if "Yomi Ghoul" itself was destroyed and sent from the field to the Graveyard.
  • The effect that destroys all monsters you control is Continuous. It becomes active immediately when Yomi Ghoul is destroyed and sent from your field to your Graveyard, and remains active as long as it stays in the Graveyard.
    Source: Earthbound Immortal self-destruct effect; see ruling on replacing Field Spells
  • If you activate Call of the Haunted or a similar card as Chain Link 2 or higher while Yomi Ghoul's second effect is active, the monster summoned by Call of the Haunted is destroyed immediately after you resolve that Chain Link.
    Source: See Exodia rulings.
  • The second effect of Yomi Ghoul cannot be negated by The End of Anubis or Forbidden Graveyard because it does not "activate". So if Yomi Ghoul was destroyed on your field and sent to your Graveyard while The End of Anubis is in play, the effect to inflict damage will be negated, but any other monsters you have on the field will still be destroyed.
[Wolfgang]

Yomi Boat Watchman:

• This card's effect to Special Summon a "Yomi" monster when your opponent attacks cannot be activated unless Yomi Boat Watchman itself was destroyed and sent from the field to the Graveyard.
[Wolfgang]

Zero Machine Ain:

• This card's effect that lets you Summon a Level 10 or higher monster without Tribute does not start a Chain.
[UnknownDuelist]

New: Temporal Machine God Razion and Zero Machine Ain added.
Last edited by Wolfgang DelaSangre on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:35 am, edited 90 times in total.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Kochen
Ace Card:
Elemental Hero Yamato
Guild:
Ventlemens Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:36 pm
Wolfgang DelaSangre wrote:There's a reason I said Monoceros can be Special Summoned from anywhere else without restriction: We have the wrong text. We got a very clear look at its anime text. There's also the fact that it was Special Summoned by the effect of Different Dimension Unicorn Knight.

I'll record all findings here as they come up, these will include rulings due to miss-wording of DMG cards, and general ACG rulings for cards that become FAQs, and every random tadbit in between. Your name will be listed next to your contributions:

Darkness: The effect of Darkness to destroy all spell/trap cards you control will activate when Darkness is removed from the field despite its current wording. [Kochen]

Monoceros: Monoceros can be special summoned from anywhere except the hand, under normal conditions despite its current wording. [Wolfgang]

I know..
Image Image Image Image Image
Satellite Trash
Satellite Trash

BYOND:
Crazy_Phoenix
Ace Card:
Endymion the Master Magician
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:49 pm
Oh, Latoma you were such a good point to this community until you left like a faggot. Sticky this plz.
Super Special Awsome
Super Special Awsome

BYOND:
serph3
Ace Card:
chiron the mage
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 pm
if this topic gets stickied the title shoul be changed..... you cant tell what is this topic about with that one
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Kochen
Ace Card:
Elemental Hero Yamato
Guild:
Ventlemens Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 pm
Serph3 wrote:if this topic gets stickied the title shoul be changed..... you cant tell what is this topic about with that one

Yeah, I just named it that to garner attention.
Super Special Awsome
Super Special Awsome

BYOND:
serph3
Ace Card:
chiron the mage
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:42 pm
the rulings for volcanic mine are the same ones chalice has?

(any effect that activate on field will negated including stardust dragon)
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Kochen
Ace Card:
Elemental Hero Yamato
Guild:
Ventlemens Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 pm
Serph3 wrote:the rulings for volcanic mine are the same ones chalice has?

(any effect that activate on field will negated including stardust dragon)

Actually Mine is more powerful in that it will negate ALL your opponent's monster effects for the duration of the turn. Field, graveyard, RFG, hand, everything.

Special Summon "Bomb Tokens" (Pyro-Type/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 1000/DEF 1000) to your opponent's empty Monster Card Zones in Defense Position. During this turn, your opponent's monsters cannot change their Battle Position, and their effects are negated. At the End Phase, all "Bomb Tokens" on the field are destroyed.

One face-up monster on the field gains 400 ATK, but its effect is negated until the End Phase.

Mine negates the effects of monsters as long as they are "your opponent's monsters". Chalice's lingering effect dictates that it must be a face-up monster all throughout the turn, like Natural Tune.

Not sure if that's how EDS wants it ruled, but that's how it's worded, and that's the ruling it would receive as of right now.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

BYOND:
Latoma
Ace Card:
Kuriboh
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 pm
Oh I continued it, I updated it occasionally to be exact. Like once a month someone posted something up though. I can't add new rulings unless issues are brought up on the forums. I'll be willing to help reconstruct though...
Fear me, he who made Tzafion not broken, and all without changing it's text! I control the gods!
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
BYOND:
Kochen
Ace Card:
Elemental Hero Yamato
Guild:
Ventlemens Club
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:42 pm
Katoma wrote:Oh I continued it, I updated it occasionally to be exact. Like once a month someone posted something up though. I can't add new rulings unless issues are brought up on the forums. I'll be willing to help reconstruct though...

:o

I thought you were dead.

That'd help though, any that you can remember/dig up would be great. I too can only update as the questions are posed to me ingame or on the forums. I just ask that if anyone presents you with an anime ruling question if you can answer it, post your answer here.. If not, just put up the question and the community will get the answer out.
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

BYOND:
Latoma
Ace Card:
Kuriboh
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Kochen wrote:
Katoma wrote:Oh I continued it, I updated it occasionally to be exact. Like once a month someone posted something up though. I can't add new rulings unless issues are brought up on the forums. I'll be willing to help reconstruct though...

:o

I thought you were dead.

That'd help though, any that you can remember/dig up would be great. I too can only update as the questions are posed to me ingame or on the forums. I just ask that if anyone presents you with an anime ruling question if you can answer it, post your answer here.. If not, just put up the question and the community will get the answer out.

At some point I stopped making rulings and waited till questions were posted here in card discussion. I even made a topic specifically for asking questions about Rulings but nobody used it.

I will get around to remaking every ruling up to GX. Someday.

And stop blocking me on MSN. Bahstah.
Fear me, he who made Tzafion not broken, and all without changing it's text! I control the gods!
Next

Return to Rules, Guides & Articles